Monday 21 February 2011

Ain't no sunshine...

I’ve always wanted to see WWT London Wetland Centre, but a visit there yesterday on a grey and drizzly day with the Bedford RSPB Group turned out to be disappointing - for a number of reasons.

Actually, although I mention the weather, that wasn’t one of them – it hardly ever bothers me. The whole day just wasn’t how I’d expected it to be. For one thing, the Centre was smaller than I’d imagined and, with an emphasis on catering for families, was also very busy – basically an urban park with a bird collection and a few areas of water.

However, on a more positive note there were birds to be seen, including Ring-necked Parakeets [with this slightly fluffed-up male showing why they’re also called Rose-ringed Parakeets]


… and Lapwings



… and, probably the best bird of the day, a female Peregrine Falcon seen from the Peacock Tower hide.

But overall, not the most satisfying day for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment